Fall is my favorite season! I can’t quite put my finger on why, but I think it’s because fall marks the anticipation for the holiday season… when things slow down and get crazy all at the same time. When the leaves turn brilliant shades of rust. When the air smells crisp and invigorating. One of my fondest memories of fall was spent at Princeton University – a few of my college friends and I traveled from Philly to New Jersey to attend a showing of Euripides’ “Medea” by the Princeton theater program. As we walked through the idyllic Princeton campus, the dead leaves crunched under our feet, the cool air felt sharp and clean, and the anticipation of Thanksgiving break was upon us. Fall makes me so nostalgic.
I don’t always decorate for the changing seasons, but for fall, I make an exception. Subtle shifts in my home decor help usher in fall – a cozy throw here, a warm, scented candle there… fall decorating doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, I cherish simplicity and subtlety.
Here are a few small changes you can make to your home to celebrate fall:
- Swap out pillow covers for warmer, muted tones. I also like experimenting with different textures: velvet, chunky cable knit, or faux fur.
- Change the scent in your home to something earthy and warm – this goes for candles, diffusers, and even hand soaps. I’ve linked a few of my favorite fall scents down below!
- Layer on some cozy throws. I almost always have a throw on either a chair or the sofa in our living spaces. Try darker colors, like rust, olive, or even navy.
- Collect fall branches from your yard and display them in a textural, artisanal vase. You can also use faux stems and use them year after year.
- Get your porch ready to welcome family and friends. After all, fall is the perfect time for gathering. Swap out summer blooms for mums or ornamental grass. Hang a fall wreath on your door – I’m partial to gingko leaves.
Shop Jen’s Fall Favorites
*Click on the images below. If you can’t see the widget, try refreshing the page.